Tax Tips for Recently Married or Divorced Taxpayers

Most individual tax returns are electronically filed.  If your name and social security number doesn’t match, the IRS computers will not accept the electronically filed tax return.  Name mismatches cause problems with refunds also.  The Social Security Administration (SSA) should be notified of a name change resulting form marriage or divorce by filing form SS-5 which is available at